Wednesday 8 July 2015

1ST PORTRAIT LESSON!

Hello everybody, this is my first ever post and I'm really excited to share with you all my experiences on the portrait lesson I had in school! I love drawing portraits and most of my artworks I've done at home are portraits of people. Here are some pictures of my drawings...

                              

                             
                                  
                              

When I drew all these portraits, I was not using the proper techniques of drawing a face so I had to do a lot of erasing. I was really excited for the portrait lesson to start because I wanted to learn the correct ways of drawing a face! 

First, our teacher gave us a picture of a model each (I'm not sure who the model is but teacher named her "Hannah") Then we were asked to draw Hannah out using our own ways of drawing without tracing or drawing only half face first. If I remember correctly, we were given around 20 mins to draw just the face and that was a really short time for me to draw. I was in a bit of a rush and also, I wasn't using the proper technique of drawing the face features so it was really difficult and ugly. Then, we had a class sharing as usual when my teacher would put all our artworks together and compare them. We had a lot of fun laughing at our own and one another's drawings but we learnt from one another's mistakes. Our teacher pointed out our mistakes and taught us the correct way then we were asked to take home and do another drawing of Hannah on the other side but this time with the correct techniques.

we were also given this 12 steps on drawing a face for reference
 Now I am going to show you the comparison of my 1st attempt and 2nd attempt on drawing "Hannah"
1st attempt (left) VS 2nd attempt (right)

The mouth was still to opened so I touched up afterwards

actual pic VS 2nd attempt

Final comparison
You can tell that there is a huge difference when I draw it my own way compared to drawing with the proper techniques. I feel that it was much faster, easier and lesser erasing and a little more accurate when I draw it with the proper techniques! I still have to improve on drawing the hair.

I honestly really really enjoyed this portrait lesson. I am looking forward for the coming weeks art lessons too! (well, I'm always looking forward for art lessons) 

Thank you so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment